The Bon Pastor Remodeling Plan foresees the demolition of the 784 “Casas Baratas” of the industrial estate built in 1929 and its replacement built in 1929 and their replacement by isolated blocks for the rehousing of all the neighbors. The urban structure of first floor housing and the proximity of the neighbors favored a form of community life that gave the neighborhood the atmosphere of a village within the city, with a lot of street life.
The change of building typology, agreed with the neighbors, offers the advantages of high-rise housing, such as privileged views of the Besòs River, to the detriment of community life at ground level where ground floor housing opens up and takes over the street. In order to recover and preserve part of this outdoor lifestyle, a series of intermediate spaces are incorporated between the public space and the dwellings. The first floor is accessed through communal courtyards that precede the lobbies. The lattice enclosure of the staircase exteriorizes the vertical routes of the building. On the ground floor, there are generous terraces, as outdoor rooms, facing the new park bordering the riverfront. The parking lot is on a single floor and has natural ventilation and lighting, offering a space adaptable over time to other uses.
The pass-through dwelling has a free-standing bathroom articulating the room into two spaces around the core and double circulations that allow the house to appear larger. This organization favors cross ventilation and the permeability of the floor plan, both to the air and to the eye, so that long visuals cross the house from facade to facade. Circulation loops are activated not only around the bathroom but also through the rooms by means of a through terrace that lengthens the walk through the house, minimizing airtight spaces and following the contour of the house without interruption.
The cantilevered metal balcony system incorporates roller shutters and acts as a vegetation support. On the first floor, the terraces facing the park are interspersed with the ventilation courtyards of the parking lot, generating a thickness as a filter of privacy between the public space and the house. The enclosure of the courtyards facing the street is split to create another air inlet that allows cross ventilation in the parking lot. The use of the exposed brickwork, as a materiality determined by the planning, is an opportunity to introduce lattices that give a porous texture to the facade of the building.
On the ground floor, a special piece of ceramic latticework, Eco Klinker Volga Grey type, 240 x 85 x 115 mm in size, has been manufactured to break up joints and to be installed along the entire perimeter of the building. A FISUFOR PLUG 4075 reinforcement is placed in each row of joints every 25 cm.
In the rest of the floors, two ceramic pieces are used. On the west façade and the north wall, a solid ceramic tile is used, with a special thickness of 10 cm instead of the standard 5 cm, of the Nile White Waterproofing type with cork finish. Its dimensions are 240 x 10 x 115 mm. A Blanco Nilo K2 III ceramic lattice with dimensions 240 x 115 x 115 mm is used on the east façade and on the two sides. A FISUFOR 4075 reinforcement is placed in the joints every 25 cm in each row.
At the corners, a solid piece of ceramic tile measuring 240 x 10 x 50 mm is used, leaving the face of the mortar-filled perforations visible.
IMHAB. Instituto Municipal de la Vivienda de Barcelona
Peris + Toral Arquitectes, Jaime Pastor
Marta Peris, José Manuel Toral, Jaime Pastor
Ana Espinosa, Guillem Pascual, Maria Megias, Izaskun González, Cristina Porta, Miguel Bernat
Structures and Technical Installation – 3J Tècnics Associats
Execution management – Joan March i Raurell
Carrer de les Novelles, 2-4-6-8-10, Bon Pastor. Barcelona (Spain)